We are Hiring - Full time first responder
Have you got what we are looking for?
BikePark Wales is the UK’s number one mountain bike facility located at Merthyr Tydfil on the edge of the Brecon Beacons national park just 25 minutes north of central Cardiff. The park is now an internationally recognised destination and a mecca for mountain bikers.
BikePark Wales is a young, successful business which is growing fast. The current offering includes 40 world class mountain bike trails, a vehicular uplift service, café, bikes shop, bike hire, coaching and events. An ambitious 3 year plan is now underway to both improve the existing services and add new products to the existing site.
BikePark Wales is situated on Natural Resources Wales land at Gethin Woodland Park, a 1,200-acre woodland site including Mynydd Gethin a 491m summit. BikePark Wales are responsible for managing and developing the mountain bike trails on the site as well as all ancillary facilities.
BikePark Wales takes its duty of care very seriously and as part of our continual development and quest to provide excellent customer service we are hiring a full time first responder to attend incidents on site, provide first response care and to assist the emergency services with locating and extracting casualties. Our site can be steep and injuries are often sustained in hard to reach places on the mountain. As such suitable candidates will need to be fit and mobile, the patroller will often use an E-bike as the fastest way to reach a casualty and as such being a competent mountain biker is a desired attribute.
In addition to attending incidents on site the first responder will be responsible for ensuring and managing all follow up paperwork and phone calls. Keeping an organised audit trail is a crucial part of the role. The right candidate will also assist the trail crew with monthly trail inspections and the necessary paperwork to complete these, as such an understanding of and interest in mountain biking is desirable.
Reporting To: Chief Operating Officer
Supervisory Responsibilities: First Aiders
Duties and Responsibilities – Specific
- Offering First Aid treatment to customers of BPW who have sustained an injury whilst riding, and to BPW staff members who may have suffered an injury whilst at work. This will involve assisting those injured on the hill who are unable to make their own way down to the centre.
- Completing a First Aid form for every injured person, and completing a follow up call to enquire how their recovery is proceeding
- Issuing Head injury advice leaflets to customers who may have sustained a head injury
- Keeping the First Aid Room tidy and clean, this includes hoovering and mopping.
- Working within established BPW H&S guidelines as well as its relevant partners (i.e. NRW)
- Ordering and storing First Aid Equipment, including producing and maintaining an inventory system to monitor stock levels
- Ensuring all First Aiders at BPW hold current and relevant qualifications, organising courses in a timely manner to ensure qualifications do not expire
- Hold regular “Refresher” training on minor first aid applications to other first aiders
- Working with the Trail Crew Manager to assist with Trail Inspections once fully trained
Duties and Responsibilities - General
- To adhere to existing working practices, methods, procedures, undertake relevant training and development activities and to respond positively to new systems
- To co-operate with relevant health and safety legislation, policies and procedures in the performance of the duties of the post.
- To carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post in compliance with the Company’s equal opportunities policies.
- To maintain confidentiality and observe data protection and associated guidelines where appropriate.
- To understand and comply with the Company’s environmental policies
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the post
You should have a comprehensive understanding of First Aid, holding current advanced 1st Aid qualifications, such as:
- Wilderness First Responder
- Wilderness Emergency First Responder
- Community First Responder
- Be organised, honest and reliable
- Previous experience of working as a First Responder desirable, specifically with experience in controlling blood loss, securing broken limbs and stabilizing suspected spinal injury.
- A friendly and engaging personality, comfortable working with members of the public and should have a confident manner
- Staff should be physically fit as they will be on their feet for most of the day and will be working outside when assisting injured riders, this will include riding a mountain bike.
- Being an intermediate level or above mountain biker
- Full, clean UK driving license
Note: The details contained in this Job Description summarise the main expectations of the role at the date it was prepared. It should be understood that the nature of individual roles will evolve and change as the service develops and grows. Consequently BikePark Wales will review and revise this Job Description as required in consultation with post holders.
If you have what we are looking for please send your aplication to [email protected]