We are Hiring - Forest Roads Maintenance Operator and Groundsman
We're looking for a Forest Roads Maintenance Operator and Groundsman to join our team.
BikePark Wales is the UK’s number one mountain bike facility located at Merthyr Tydfil on the edge of the Brecon Beacons national park just 25 minutes north of central Cardiff. The park is now an internationally recognised destination and a mecca for mountain bikers. BikePark Wales is a young, successful business which is growing fast. The current offering includes 40 world class mountain bike trails, a vehicular uplift service, café, bikes shop, bike hire, coaching and events but an ambitious 3 year plan is now underway to both improve the existing services and add new products to the existing site. BikePark Wales is situated on Natural Resources Wales land at Gethin Woodland Park, a 2,000-acre woodland site including Myndd Gethin a 491 metre summit. BikePark Wales are responsible for managing and developing the mountain bike trails on the site as well as all ancillary facilities.
The Roads Maintenance Operator and Groundsman is a new position at BikePark Wales created to manage the increasing demands on the site. This new role will be responsible for maintaining the 4.6km forest road that is used to transport our customers to the top of the hill by bus and trailer, as well as the access road, car park areas and the general landscaping and grounds keeping of the facility. The operator will have to follow guidance from and comply with all NRW regulations that may apply to their working practices such as water management, heritage and conservation and forest planning.
The successful candidate will operate a range of plant and tools to conduct their duties including a tractor, trailer, excavator, strimmer and chainsaw. They will be responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the plant day to day.
The role will include the administration of an inspection process and records of works conducted. In times where all scheduled works are completed, the operator will assist the Trail Crew department by working on the trail network within the bikepark.
The operator must have an excellent understanding of H&S and working in public spaces as they will be responsible for the operation of heavy plant within the Bikepark area and the safe systems of work to deliver the works.
Responsibilities to include:
- Working with Trail Crew manager to deliver the agreed work plans.
- Inspection of the uplift road, access road, car parks and surrounding grounds.
- Conducting maintenance tasks on the uplift road, including but not limited to: Cleaning side ditches and culverts, vegetation management, repairs to potholes, reprofiling road camber, scarification and adding stone materials to road surface, compaction of road, litter pick.
- Conducting maintenance tasks on the access road and car parks, including but not limited to: Cleaning side ditches and culverts, vegetation management, repairs to potholes, reprofiling road camber, scarification and adding stone materials to road surface, compaction of road, litter pick.
- Grounds keeper tasks around visitor centre and car parks including but not limited to: Strimming, vegetation management, grading and landscaping surroundings, seeding and planting, litter picks.
- A professional approach to health and safety.
- Following all risk assessments and method statements to ensure a safe working environment and to protect the public and other staff.
- Conducting daily plant checks and maintenance on the plant and equipment.
- Maintenance of all signage within the bikepark (installing, cleaning, repairing and replacing).
- Working to assist the Trail Crew department within the wider BikePark area whenever required.
The details contained in this Job Description summarise the main expectations of the role at the date it was prepared. It should be understood that the nature of individual roles will evolve and change as the service develops and grows. Consequently, BikePark Wales will review and revise this Job Description as required in consultation with post holders.
- A full UK driver’s license
- Experience of operating tractors and towing trailers
- Experience of operating 360 excavators
- Chainsaw experience and ticket
- Brushcutter/strimmer experience