Bike Hire Manager
< Back to all careers
Job Title: Bike Hire Manager
Reporting to: Centre Operations Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: Bike Hire Team
About BikePark Wales
BikePark Wales is the UK’s number one mountain bike facility located at Merthyr Tydfil on the edge of the Brecon Beacons national park just 25 minutes north of central Cardiff. The Park is now an internationally recognised destination and a mecca for mountain bikers, descending on Myndd Gethin, a 491-metre summit.
BikePark Wales is a young, successful business which is growing fast. The current offering includes over 40 world class mountain bike trails, a vehicular uplift service, café, bike shop, bike hire, coaching and events but an ambitious development plan is now underway to both improve the existing services and add new products and facilities to the existing site.
We are recruiting for a Bike hire manager to lead our expanding hire team. The ideal candidate will be a fun, engaging individual who is organised, experienced and great with people. Previous management experience is essential for this role, as you will be responsible for leading and developing a large team. You will be responsible for providing industry leading levels of service, which includes maintaining our extensive fleet of Trek bikes to the highest of standards. An eye for detail, an ability to analyse, report on and react to any issues, as well as an ability to bring structure and efficiency to the team are essential qualities in the ideal candidate.
The successful candidate will bring with them previous hire experience as well as a mechanical aptitude.
BikePark Wales is a busy and specialist environment focussing on high end mountain bikes and customer experience, so an excellent level of knowledge in the field is required from all applicants.
Responsibilities to include:
- Line managing the Hire team, including all aspects of HR, responsibility for managing the rota, including the allocation of holidays
- Responsible for team development, including creating individual training schedules
- Accomplish departmental targets by supervising, monitoring, and organising all team
- Creation and management of work schedules
- Maintain high quality and quantity of work and service standards
- Organise and manage repair and servicing of our extensive hire fleet, as well as preparation of ex-hire bikes for sale
- Manage the job record system, meeting agreed deadlines in a fast-paced workshop environment
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by establishing and enforcing organisation standards and adhering to legal regulations
- Responsible for all stock; includes ensuring appropriate levels are maintained across all hire consumables, with regular stock takes as well as stock ordering and receiving
- Act as an approachable source of information for customers wishing to make use of hire services, including discussing the merits of different products and packages
- Well versed with all our key brands - Trek, Shimano, Muc Off, WTB. As well as great up to date knowledge within the bike industry.
- Attend and contribute to monthly team meetings.
- Pro-Active attitude to maintaining and improving professional knowledge.
- Actively participating in Trek University and Shimano Technical Education.
General team duties:
- To adhere to existing working practices, methods, procedures, undertake relevant training and development activities and to respond positively to new and alternative systems
- To co-operate with relevant health and safety legislation, policies and procedures in the performance of the duties of the post
- To carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post in compliance with the Company’s equal opportunities policies
- To maintain confidentiality and observe data protection and associated guidelines where appropriate
- To understand and comply with the Company’s environmental policies
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the post
- Previous Hire and Customer Service experience, within the bike industry
- Qualified to minimum CYTECH Level 2
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in leadership, at assistant manager level, is essential for this role
- The ability to motivate and engage team members; to identify individual’s skill sets and utilise them, for both personal and business development
- A hard working and adaptable manner, with a solid common-sense approach, Exceptional personal standards and understanding of customer service
- Solid understanding of stock, costing, and its movement
- Ability to come up with new ideas to further advance and develop the current offering
- Well versed with all our key brands - Trek, Shimano, Muc Off, WTB. As well as great up to date knowledge within the bike industry
- Outstanding organisation and planning skills and a good eye for detail. Identifying a potential problem and acting quickly to resolve it
- Excellent people skills with the ability to build strong relationships, internally and externally across all teams, strong communication skills both verbal and written
- A proactive approach to team development
- Active approach to improve standards across the site
- Excellent time management and ability to work under your own initiative
- A keen interest in MTB and BikePark Wales
- Citrus Lime POS and Workshop Module experience
- Experience with Bosch E-Bike systems
- Ability to communicate in the Welsh language
- Enhanced DBS certificate
- First Aid Qualifications
If you wish to apply for this role, please e-mail a CV and cover letter, detailing why you are the right person for the role to email@example.com
Note: The details contained in this Job Description summarise the main expectations of the role at the date it was prepared. The nature of individual roles will evolve and change as the service develops and grows. Consequently, BikePark Wales will review and revise this Job Description as required in consultation with post holders.
BikePark Wales welcomes enquiries and applications from everyone and values diversity in the workplace. A commitment to promoting diversity and developing a workplace environment where all staff are treated with dignity and respect is central to our recruitment process.
BikePark Wales is responsible for deciding how it holds and uses personal information about you and complies with all data protection law and principles. Any personal information that you provide to us during the recruitment process will be stored on a computer to assist with the administration of the recruitment process.
We will use the personal information we collect about you to:
- Assess your skills, qualifications, and suitability for the role;
- Carry out background and reference checks, where applicable;
- Communicate with you about the recruitment process;
- Keep records related to our hiring processes; and
- Comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
We also need to process your personal information to decide whether to enter into a contract of employment with you but we will not store your personal information for any longer than is necessary.